Canasvieiras - Florianópolis neighborhood
Região: north of the island
Close quarters: Bom Jesus waterfall (3 km) | Traditional Jurerê (3 km)
Nearby beaches: Canasvieiras beach | Cachoeira do Bom Jesus Beach | Traditional Jurerê Beach
Distances: Centro e Bus Station 29 km | Airport 39 km
Also find: water sports, boat trips, purchases, nightlife (summer).
The Canasvieiras neighborhood is located in the north of Santa Catarina Island, 27 km from the Centro, between the districts of Traditional Jurerê and Bom Jesus waterfall. It currently occupies an area of approximately 30,1 km², ranging from the beach to inland towns such as Canto do Lamin.
Canasvieiras is one of the largest neighborhoods in the north of the island, with a population of over 10.000.
Because of its natural vocation for tourism, it is the main destination for tourists in the southern cone. It has an excellent tourist infrastructure, with hotels, inns, residences, apartments and flats, in addition to car rental agencies, bank agencies, post offices, travel agencies and tourist tours.
In the area of feed, Canasvieiras offers steakhouses, pizzerias, typical seafood-based foods, international cuisine, snack bars, sweet shops, ice cream parlors, fast food and much more.
Commerce in the neighborhood is quite developed, with mini-malls and shopping centers distributed along the main roads, such as Avenida das Nações, Rua Madre Maria Vilac and Rodovia Tertuliano de Brito Xavier.
Over the years, Canasvieiras has been consolidating itself as the neighborhood with the greatest growth potential, so much so that it was chosen to host two of the largest developments in the city, the Sapiens Park and the new Convention Center.
History from Canasvieiras
It is believed that Canasvieiras has this name on account of an expressive production of sugar cane, and one of the main sugarcane growers in the region was, supposedly, a certain Mr. Vieira. However, some of the oldest residents refer to the neighborhood as Rua Velha, due to one of the oldest streets in the locality. In other times, most of the houses in Canasvieiras were built along the length of Rua Velha.
The history of Canasvieiras began in the mid-XNUMXth century, with the arrival of immigrants from the distant Azores archipelago to Santa Catarina Island. One of the first parishes founded by these immigrants was Nossa Senhora das Necessidades, currently Saint Anthony of Lisbon, which underwent a process of dismemberment and gave rise to Canasvieiras in 1835.
This new parish followed a typically Portuguese urban structure and had the church as its main reference. Two major roads departed from it: one that went south, with the destination of Fort of Sao Jose da Ponta Grossa, and another that allowed access to the north, called Rua Velha. As mentioned before, it was through these roads, mainly the one to the north, that most of the houses in Canasveiras were found.
The local economy revolved around fishing and agriculture. Cassava, sugarcane, onions, rice and coffee were produced, part of which met the needs of families and the surplus was sold in neighboring districts or in the center of the city. Some residents had their own businesses, such as warehouses and mills. There were also communal lands, where it was possible to raise cattle, gather fruits or extract firewood.
The first outlines of a tourist project for Canasvieiras were outlined in the 1920s, with the construction of the Hercílio Luz Bridge. Many believed that easier access to the Island would attract the attention of tourists. The next step, therefore, would be to provide the city with good accommodation for wealthy families, and it was with this objective that the Hotels Canasvieiras Bathhouse was founded in 1930.
In the following two decades, the neighborhood underwent major transformations, both in cultural and structural terms. In 1940, boat fishing was introduced, which made several fishermen move to other states and the community's relationship with money changed. In the mid-1950s, the city government approved the first subdivision of Canasvieiras, which brought significant changes to the region.
From 1970 onwards, the tourist project designed for Canasvieiras gained new chapters with the construction of the SC-401, whose main objective was to facilitate contact between the Center and the resorts in the north of the Island. The infrastructure itself neighborhoods underwent a modernization process, which attracted a greater flow of tourists and investments in the area of civil construction, especially in subdivisions.
DISCOVER MORE North Region Neighborhoods from Florianopolis
- Bom Jesus waterfall
- English from Rio Vermelho
- Jurerê International
- Traditional Jurerê
- Ponta das Canas
- Brava Beach
- Saint Anthony of Lisbon